WHAT WE’RE DOING
As a school we are taking ongoing proactive steps to reduce the risk to our school community:
- The wellbeing of our pupils and community and the continuity of our educational programme is of paramount importance to us. For these reasons we suspended in person learning and teaching from Friday 20 March, and continued to provide education through online learning [see letter]. From 29 June to 10 July we are providing part-time, in-building provision for Kindergarten and all Classes. A combination of different classes will attend on different days to ensure social distancing and hygiene, both in the classrooms and around the School. This follows the Welsh Government guidance of the closure and opening of all state schools in Wales, which made clear that these decisions havebeen focused on public health advice. Welsh Government have informed independent schools that they would encourage independent schools to follow the advice given to maintained education settings to put the wellbeing of all learners at the forefront.
- We are in regular contact with SEDT, who manage the Certificate of Steiner Education (NZCSE) to ensure our Upper School pupils can continue with their qualification. The structure of the NZCSE, focused on ongoing assessment, means it is particularly well suited to adapt to the current times. We fully expect our Class 11 pupils to steam on and achieve their Level 2 of the NZ Certificate by the end of this year.
- Extra cleaning and disinfecting of frequently touched objects and surfaces, including desks and handles, and within toilet blocks.
- We have been running a small, necessary provision during this time for our pupils who are vulnerable or are children of parents of ‘essential workers’ – those whose work is critical to the COVID-19 response [see letter].
- Travel ban for all international school trips, including requiring our staff to declare if they, or their families, are travelling overseas.
- Avoiding the exposure of pupils to large gatherings, and gatherings in smaller public spaces such as cinemas, theatres, and other similar settings. (Our weekly Games lessons at Sophia Gardens have been risk assessed and are currently still taking place).
- We will update parents about the postponement/cancellation of trips once we have formal confirmation from our insurers and providers, to limit any unnecessary losses.
- Following the latest government advice on social isolating, our Parent & Toddler Groups are cancelled until further notice.